Below you can read about our approaches and methods, where we put a special emphasis on: Practical Ethics, culture, attitudes and values, and facilitating.
Besides our approaches and methods you can read about our different tools: Conflict management, Dilemma management, Teamcoaching, and management sparring. If you need more information, or you are in doubt about how we can help you, you are more than welcome to contact us.
At Etikos we use practical ethics as the primary approach to the development of organizations. Organizations are bound together by culture, values and attitudes, and practical ethics is an obvious approach to use, in order to better understand and work with the cultural field.
Etikos has developed a unique concept for practical ethics: The Ethical Method. The Ethical Method combines some of the most important ethical theories and principles in a comprehensive approach to ethical reflection, dialogue, dilemma handling, and cultural development.
Read more about our tools below.
Culture plays an important role in the everyday life of organisations, often without the organisation even being aware of it. Culture is values, attitudes, point of views, and perceptions, which effects what we do, how we thing, and what we say during our everyday life. In organisations the culture have a crucial importance for how management and employees percieves their roles, their jobs, and their responsibilities.
Etikos has developmed a qualitative method to uncover and analyse the locale culture. A method especially suited to capture local interpretations, perceptions, and attitudes of the management and employee of the specific organisation.
Read more about our tools below.
Etikos designs and facilitates targeted and flexible processes, which focuses on development.
Our learning approach is based on bringing clear and simple tools into play in order to create coherence between theory and practice.
Our facilitating is direct, open, and involving. We tell it as we see it, and call upon the responsibility of all. We give weight to integrity in our process design.
Read more about our tools below.
What is a Cultural Mirror?
The cultural mirror is a uniq concept for managing cultural issues in the organisation, through analysis and change of the culture. The cultural mirror draws a precise and vivid picture of the culture in the organisation.
The cultural mirror makes it possible to work with cultural issues.
- Cooperation and work environment
- Sick leave
- Attracting and maintaining labor
- Strategy execution
The cultural mirror clearly shows the culturally barriers, which enables the organisation to act upon them. The cultural mirror draws a precise picture of the current culture.
The effect is that it is actually possible on the culturally issues directly, which means that it is possible to make the wanted change in the organisations culture.
What is culture and why is culture important?
The culture plays an important role in the everyday life of the organisations, often without the organisations even noticing it. Culture is values, attitudes, perceptions, and point of views, which effect what we do, what we say, and what we think during the everyday.
In organisations the culture plays and important part in how management and employees percieves their roles, their jobs, and their responsibilites.
About the method
Etikos have in cooperation with researchers from Aarhus Univeristy and Copenhagen Buisness School developed a uniq concept for qualitative culture-development. The concept is based on an anthropological and organisation-theoretical understanding of culture, combined with Etikos' own approach to applied ethics.
As Etikos we offer dialogue tools to manage conflict in organizations at both a managerial and on a staff level. Our conflict management is grounded in The Ethical Method and in The Good Dialogue, and helps organizations that want to manage conflicts ethically. We work with The Good Dialogue, which is an investigative, non-judgmental conversation practice, which emphasizes reflection, creating awareness and clarification.
We offer conflict resolution processes in which managers and/or employees are given tools to examine, discuss and handle conflicts and understand their complexity. On the one hand conflicts carry a risk of degradation and burnout, but they also provide an opportunity for development, new insight and growth. What matters is how these conflicts are handled. Conflicts should not be avoided - they should be handled in an ethically informed way. We thus offer conflict resolution, to improve understanding of personal differences and personal integrity. This in turn brings new options into view, reinforces the collegiate relationships and creates conditions for development and growth.
- To give dialogue tools for handling conflicts
- To provide a common ethical language to talk about conflicts
- To improve understanding of personal differences
- To become aware of the development potential in the conflict
- Increased respect for personal differences
- More confident collegial relations
- Better psychological work environment
- An organization in growth and development
Etikos offers reflection for dealing with ethical dilemmas on both a management and employee level. Our dilemma handling is grounded in The Ethical Method and helps organizations that are seeking qualified dialogue- and reflection tools for everyday challenges. The purpose of the dilemma management is to provide help in situations where employees or managers start to doubt - there where you feel obliged to perform multiple actions at the same time, and where the ethical dilemmas give rise to disagreements and conflicts in the organization.
At Etikos our starting points are precisely those ethical dilemmas that organizations face in their daily practice. With The Ethical Method, organizations have a common language to reflect on what is difficult and challenging, and ensured a qualified tool to deal with the dilemmas that relate to this, e.g., cooperation, communication, professionalism and the decisions to be taken. We thus offer a way of dealing with dilemmas that helps to develop the organizations’ judgment and its ability to make decisions in an ethically qualified manner. Dilemma-handling thus also gives new perspective on the available options at all levels.
- To provide tools for dealing with ethical dilemmas
- To strengthen the ability to identify, analyse and manage dilemmas
- To provide a common language to describe the ethical reflection
- To get a greater dilemma awareness
- Increased quality of professional work
- Increased respect and understanding of diversity
- Increased ethical awareness
- Better judgment and decision-making capabilities
- Increased confidence in the collegial relations
At Etikos we offer management-sparring in relation to concrete issues. With our approach we strengthen your attention and your skills in accordance with the five focus areas for good management:
WHY – fastened in your manangement-practice
With our approach to management-development, supervision, and coaching, we deal with the fundamental WHY, which drives you as a leader. Both your own principles and the organsational strategies and expectations.
Don´t polish the shit!
Acknowledge! - both opportunities and problems - call it as you see it.
We help you to uncover the fundamental matter as it is, and call it what it is - og from there make you conscious about the choices you can make
Content over form
The form is important, but the substance is crucial.
We help you clarifying your potential, which gives content to your management-practice, and makes it possible for others to follow you - not only because you fill out a form, but because there actually is a relevant and real content.
The actual reality
We help you create an overview for the organisation that you are a part of. We help you clarify your field of authority, and what what the bounderies of your authority, and thereby what you got the possibility to change, and what lies beyond your grasp.
We provide training in the art of reflection about the influence your actions and descions have upon others and on the organisation as a whole.
Coaching and supervision are methods for the qualification of daily practice and the development of culture, collaboration or communication. At Etikos we use coaching and supervision as methods of learning with staff and managers, where the goal is to work through challenges about culture, collaboration or communication. Wherever there is something the organization wants to change, develop and improve about the common culture.
Etikos works dilemma-oriented, dialogical and reflective in supervision and coaching. Our approach is rounded off by an existentialist thinking. We therefore work with a strong focus on responsibility, (self-)reflection, choice and contact. That our approach is dilemma-oriented means that our learning processes always involve working with concrete ethical dilemmas from daily practice. The real-life stories and case studies are the focal point; only there where our wonderings, doubts, concerns or ambivalences are rooted in reality, can we work with responsibility, choice and self-reflection.
Our approach is exploratory and non-judgmental, putting particular emphasis on creating reflection, awareness and clarification of the choices and new options.
Our approach is based on the following qualitative learning points and communication techniques
- We say what we see: we work with qualified mirroring, where we train the ability to say - honestly, clearly and respectfully - what we see and what we hear.
- We believe in ‘talking with’ rather than ‘talking about’: Responsibility can only be taken in ‘talking with’ somebody: where the individual puts himself, his own dilemmas and its own doubts, in the game.
- We work from the belief that statements have consequences: statements must be followed by a door - we will return if something is unfinished. It is never too late to come back.
- We work to promote the concrete observation and understated assessment- and evaluation measures intended to support learning and development.
- We work with special concern for human integrity: express yourself clearly and accurately - and let the other person be.
- We support, inspire and challenge to self-reflection, awareness and clarification.
- We work with a meta-perspective as a qualifying perspective: we train the ability to take a helicopter perspective, see the situation from the outside, take action in the moment - and not be complacent.
- We believe there is gold hidden in doubt: we work with doubt’s potential in the qualification of decisions and actions, thereby functioning as a path to growth, development and contact.